Friday 7 March 2014

I Spy With My 8mm Eye

A Samyang 8mm Fisheye Lens. Not the most common lens being used for landscape images, but that's what I've been using for the last month. I had my doubts as to how I was going to approach this before I started my Fisheye February assignment. So I did some research one day and I discovered one simple, very helpful tip... Keep the horizon centred, and you wouldn't even know you were using one.

What an enjoyable month I had using it. I used to think there was no way the images would turn out any good, everything would be so small and I would lose too much detail. But some of the images I have created with it have gotten the best response out of all my photos I've ever posted. And to think that this lens only cost me $280! What a bargain.

I think my favourite image from Fisheye February would have to be Day 54.
A little cave down in the cliffs at Malabar. It was quite small, but big enough to squash myself in the back corner. The best thing was it was facing in the perfect position to centre the sun right in the middle. The fisheye makes the final image look a lot bigger than it was, but I love the natural framing of the rock. Most people think this is an HDR image but it is just a single RAW file, processed in Lightroom. I posted it on 500px (500px.com/meimages) the other day and it absolutely took off! Over 4000 views and 480 likes in 2 Days. Incredible.

Selfie in the cave

Final image



As always i'll be doing a little video recap on my youtube channel. I was having some trouble with iMovie this time so I actually made this with Lightroom. Which I might just use from now on as it only took me about 15 mins, as apposed to about 2 hours with iMovie.





Thanks for reading. To have my posts delivered straight to your inbox you can now subscribe just by adding your email into the box up to the right.
Thanks again, Matt. meimages.net

No comments:

Post a Comment